Saturday, March 04, 2006

I think I'm a RENT-head

Back when RENT was onstage in Toronto, a friend and I drove into T.O. to watch the show. We were a little late (parking, QEW) but got seated immediately. Even though I had missed the opening portion of the show, I was drawn in and loved every remaining minute. I didn't become enthralled enough to sit outside for hours on end waiting to see it again, but remember driving home in a euphoric state, knowing I had experienced a defining theatre moment.

I didn't avoid watching the movie last year, but missed it on my schedule and budget. Finally, after Patrick watch the film in St. Jacobs, I decided to rent the DVD, and sit back and enjoy it alone.

It was an amazing experience. I think I needed to see RENT right now, it confirmed so many things about being an artist, helping to understand part of the isolation and confusion, the emotional existence we lead. Not only is the film brightly crafted, and does incredible justice to the original, the medium allowed for a "filling in" of the missing pieces - the world, the history, the sensual existence of these people. Though it is definitely becoming a period piece, it still speaks to everyone equally.

Love today, live today.
Thank you Jonathon Larson

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You liked the movie that much? Really - i found it a little dated, but still good. However, speaking of dated i saw the CanStage produciton of Hair (which you'd think was more dated) but found it to still be very relevant - and Liza and i think one of the cast looks and moves like you - go see it!
Rach

2:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home