Sunday, January 08, 2006

Another Installment of MIB

Good Evening Everyone,

Since I'm feeling a little chuffed about having just completed Talk is Free Theatre's first full floor treatment, I thought I would take the time to say hello.

My last update didn't include any photos, and neither does this one. I've saved the photos from previous productions this season at home, and since PRB and I just moved, our lives have been in an upheaval. I did get an overnight stay in our new house, and Patrick has done some beautiful things. We both agreed the house has a unique energy. Perhaps some house pics and production pics in the next email, after this Friday's opening night.

Playground, which is the opening I'm elluding to, is a new Canadian musical by Joey Miller, directed by Jim Betts, musical direction by Ryan deSouza with a star-studded (if you can say that in Canada) cast. It is set in 1973, in a Toronto playground. The principle character, Benny, sits on a swing, and eventually chains himself to it.

The design is simple, which is to my taste anyway, but is a suggestive, representational vision of a playground in fall: two panels of bright red, orange and yellow dyed silk hang above, a single 30 foot wide panel of mottled blue silk hangs as the sky, and the deck has been painted to represent fall grass and a path through the playgournd. And of course, the swing, which is strong enough to hold a piano.

The show is wonderful! It is not really uplifting, nor is it a downer, but leaves the audience with questions of moving on, growing up, making choices. I'd love to invite all of you to see it, since it is so human and emotional.

It's a quiet Sunday up here tonight. Everyone has left for their respective homes, leaving me quite alone to paint and work on costumes. Kind of a weird isolation.

Next up: All You Ever Wanted To Know About Bad Theatre - This is a Play, by Daniel MacIvor, and Drama and The Evils of Tobacco, by Anton Chekhov. Barrie mightn't be ready for this, Ethel.

Lots of love, my regards
Michael XO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home