Saturday, December 17, 2005

Missing in Barrie

Well, yeah, it has been a long time. Things have been slightly crazy, in a good way, but crazy none the less.
Since I can't remember where I left off during the last chapter, this will be truly a suspense cliffhanger. Because I probably won't finish stories I started last time.

Three projects: Home for Christmas (opened November 24, closed December 10), a great experience with Leslie Arden, Cathy Elliott and Glynis Ranney (Danny Austin Choreo and Assistant Director). I was sick for the first part of the rehearsal process, so I felt behind the whole time (mind you, Glass Menagerie had opened the Friday before the first day of Home).
Amahl and the Night Visitors (opened December 8th, closes December 18) has been a year long process of planning and designing (set, costume and lighting), communication from Barrie the whole time. Transforming Grace United Church into a theatre space was exciting, but because of the windows, all lighting effects died. Turned out to be a delightful, sweet show, with some great performances (primarily an amateur cast, two professional actors).
The Children's Area at Dr. Dave Fieldings: Has come along beautifully! I couldn't be happier about the results so far (I last saw the space on Monday night, a few elements of mine still missing, carpet and wallpaper in the rest of the office).

So, that's it for projects. Life hasn't been particularly exciting, since the projects have been taking up so much time. Started going to the gym which feels good, mainly to regain the weight I've lost recently. Spending some time reading Gina Mallet's book Last Chance to Eat, increasing my desire for cheese and eggs. Right now I'm reading about the beef boom. I'll probably start dreaming about fillets now.

Currently building the next show for Talk is Free in Barrie. Playground starts Barrie rehearsals Monday, onstage. I've been spending this week preparing to install a safety-rated swing (chain and woodn seat). Since the cast is predominantly unionized, and I certainly wouldn't want the swing to break during a performance, we're using spec 80 chain (I've no idea how much weight that chain can carry, but it is the only chain which allows for VERTICAL lift, versus a chain rated for towing). My favourite part of this past week is the grinder, which I rented for cutting the chain. Imagine, double spectacled (safety glasses), leather gloved, sparks bouncing off my jeans in a hundred year old WOODEN barn! It is still standing. My favourite part was the sparks actually bouncing off my forehead and safety glasses (apparently not hot enough to ignite hair). The rest of the set is very minimal, sky and foliage above. Set in 1973, it will be a great costume show. Can't wait for the prints.

Not much else to report. Except that there is lots of snow (I have genuine snow tires this year. Already very required).

Lots of love, and my best for the holidays,
Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home